Interested in youth, creativity, and community?
About The Flagship Clubhouse:
The Flagship Clubhouse in Dudley Square, Roxbury, provides a creative out-of-school learning environment where teens work with adult mentors to explore their own ideas, develop skills, and build confidence in themselves through the use of technology. A free drop-in program, the Clubhouse engages youth in STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts, and Math) activities in ways that are relevant and meaningful to them. It also serves as a model and Flagship site for The Clubhouse Network, an international community of more than 100 Clubhouses in 19 countries.
The Flagship Clubhouse seeks a creative youth worker to implement Clubhouse-to-Career (C2C) Pathways to Success, a workforce readiness program for teens and young adults, as well as launch a Girls’ Day program and other youth leadership initiatives. C2C Pathways to Success builds on the success of the Clubhouse model and draws on Clubhouse experience to support the global need for a trained and ready workforce, in particular in STEM fields and careers. Supported generously by Best Buy and others, the goal of this program is to help youth (ages 16-21) develop technology skills and work readiness, prepare for “real-world” internships, and ultimately develop a plan for future success and realize their full potential.
- Provide outreach to young people, parents, educators, and community leaders to recruit participants and build visibility for The Clubhouse as a community resource for youth from Boston neighborhoods.
- Act as the primary support for youth participants as they develop specific technology skills, build work readiness skills, gain real-world experience through internship placements, and receive career guidance over time for jobs that can lead to broader opportunities in technology fields and beyond.
- Assist in identifying summer internship placements, and serve as the primary contact and resource for internship supervisors.
- Communicate regularly with The Clubhouse Network’s C2C Program Manager and with staff from other Clubhouses involved in C2C Pathways to Success, and participate in a community of practice around C2C Pathways concepts and experiences.
- Introduce new technology applications in the Clubhouse and help youth develop projects, supporting them in coming up with ideas, gathering materials, getting started, connecting with mentors and collaborators, and following through on their ongoing work.
This position is full-time, 40 hrs/week, Tuesday – Saturday. Work hours 10 am – 6 pm except Wednesday (until 7 pm) and Friday (until 8 pm), subject to change.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Evidence of commitment to Clubhouse mission, including youth leadership, youth development, social justice action, and racial equity and inclusion.
- Proven track record working with youth, in particular young people from underserved neighborhoods;
- Work experience in an informal learning environment, especially with girls and young women;
- Demonstrated interest in technology as a creative and empowering tool; knowledge of programming and/or robotics and engineering a plus.
- Familiarity with employer expectations;
- Demonstrated ability to reach out to youth, parents, community leaders, and employers;
- Interpersonal skills, including ability to get along with people of diverse backgrounds and abilities;
- A passion for learning and helping others to learn;
- Excellent organizational skills.
Exempt (salaried). Commensurate with experience.
Benefits for full-time, exempt (salaried) staff include: 15 vacation days, 12 holidays, 5-10 sick days, medical, dental, and vision insurance, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, retirement and savings plan, professional development, direct deposit, and much more!
The Clubhouse Network is fully committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state or local law. We are dedicated to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment, and where employees are treated with respect and dignity.
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone inquiries, please.